I am hoping that I will get better with this in time. So far, I'm kind of awful at it. I've managed to ruin all of my oil infusions, though I suppose they were never really infusions considering that they all went rancid. I broke down and bought a bottle of Everclear. Alcohol was going to be easier, or so I thought. Apparently my roses weren't dried out completely (even though I thought they were) I took a wiff of the tincture 2 days after putting it in the jar and it smelled just as awful (if not worse) than the failed oil infusions!! On the bright side of things, I started a tincture of some of my vanilla beans. When I shook the jar today a little bit leaked out and got on my hand, imagine my surprise when it smelled like vanilla and not some foul substance! I'm glad that that one is working out so well, I have big plans for it that involve Neroli. Despite my failings and flailings, I have started one more tincture and one more infusion. I'm currently in love with the smell of Black Currant Tea. Especially considering that it's more cost effective than buying a Black Currant Bud absolute. The infusion is staying out of the heat this time. There should be plenty of smell goods in the tea to not need the boost.
For this summer I hope to complete two perfumes: the Neroli and Vanilla concoction and then the Black Currant Tea dabble. I want a new fragrance or two. A fellow aromatics enthusiast that I work with is encouraging me every step of the way, and is even offering up brilliant ideas and brainstorming sessions.
I hope that I can get all of this right this time.