Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Dream Realized

I believe that my life long obsession with all things that smell good stems from my mom's perfume bottle collection. Now mind you, the bottles were always empty when she acquired them, but I remember as a kid when she would find a new one at a flea market. Her excitement was always over her new prize, mine was always over the curiosity. What had the perfume smelled like? What made the lady that had it before buy it? What drew her to the perfume? Did she wear it during a special time in her life?


Someone once told me that scent is the strongest reminder for a person. Imagine if you could create something that just one whiff of would make someone smile or laugh. 


I've been working at a perfume counter in a drug store for 2 and a half years now. I love it. It's not a glamorous job, but I am gifted with the ability to smell all of the perfumes that I want. I get to help people pick out their new favorite scent. I have quite the gift for determining what someone will like, just from them giving me descriptions of what they've worn before. 


So here we are. I want to make perfumes. But I don't want to just mix perfumes. I want to make oils. I want to grow the herbs to make the oils. I want to go through the trial and error process and get frustrated. If all of this means that I get to do something I love, then so be it. 


I want to make perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment